Register a Client Application
Before you can begin using the APIs, you must register an App. The App is used to uniquely identify the caller to an endpoint. After the App is registered, the App has an assigned Client ID and Client Secret. The Client ID is a public and unique identifier that will be used to identify the client application as an application. The Client Secret is a private identifier kept secret between the App and the API. The Client Secret is used to authenticate the App when it makes a request for an access token.
To Register an App:
- Log in to EBSCO Developer.
- Click on My Apps in the top navigation. This form is used by all EBSCO products, so some fields will not be needed.
- Click on the Add a new App button at the top of the page.
A form will appear.
- Enter the following information. The "Type of App" field and the "Does this App need to access user identities and/or details?" fields are not required by MedsAPI, but are required inputs. The "Callback URL" field is an optional field and is not required by MedsAPI. These three fields are ignored by MedsAPI.
- Enter the App Name in the field provided.
- Select the Type of App.
- Enter the Customer ID and Group ID fields. Unless you are a partner, these fields are required for MedsAPI. You should have been given these IDs from your EBSCO representative.
- Specify if the App needs access to user identities and/or details.
- Select MedsAPI to request that your App can use any MedsAPI product for which you have access.
- Click the Create App button. You are returned to the My Apps page and your new App is listed. Your new App will be Pending until your information has been reviewed and approved. You will receive an email once your App has been Approved.
- Log in to EBSCO Developer once you receive your App Approval email.
- Navigate to the My Apps page. The App status for your new App will show Approved.
- Click on the name of your application in the list. The Credentials section is displayed. Your application credentials, the Client ID and the Client Secret, are listed.
- Make note of the Client ID and Client Secret for the App. Please use the Client ID and the Client Secret when requesting an OAuth 2.0 token..